Let It Be
Palette Knife Play
Begins February 22, 2021!!!
Over the last decade, I have often been drawn to playing with texture in my paintings. And after discovering my love for oil paint, the palette knife quickly became my most cherished tool. I love the fact that I can quickly create texture and movement with a few strokes of my palette knife. I love the dynamic quality of this kind of play! Sometimes, the most difficult part is to just LET IT BE. This is true in art AND in life. It takes a mature artist to know when to stop. I have to admit that using restraint has to be one of the most difficult things for me. But I am constantly endeavoring towards being more purposeful in every stroke. There is power in restraint.
In this course, we will focus on the following skills and techniques:
- wet in wet palette knife play
- textured backgrounds
- building layers for texture and movement
- restraint and composition
- blending tips for oil paint
- still life and abstract painting with palette knife
- how to create dimension with your palette knife
Included in this course will be process videos for 4 different paintings!!! This means that I will talk you through the entire process of creating a piece with step by step instructions!
Art Lab 101 for palette knife play- BASICS of oil paint and palette knife techniques
LIVE Q/A Zoom call towards the end of the course
Painting Makeover- A complete lesson where I take an old painting and give it a make-over
Zoom call information, such as time and date will be decided the week of the course. If you can't make the Zoom call, you will be able to watch the replay!!!
Materials and Supplies:
- Oil Paint
- Cradled art boards or stretched canvas
- Palette knife (small for better control)
- Collage (vintage fabric and ephemera)
- Matte gel medium
- Paint brushes
- Acrylics for beginning layers *optional
- Workable fixative
- Mark making materials (pens, pencils and pastels)
- Cold wax medium
- Oil painting paper by Strathmore
- Baby wipes for easy clean-up
Frequently Asked Questions
There is a bit of overlap in some of my other courses, but this class is exclusively designed to help you in your palette knife skills. I hope that you will join me for a bit of Palette Knife Play!!!