Live Painting on Zoom
Come make these Butterfly Collages with me on Zoom!
When I was a little girl, I remember going to stay overnight at my grandmother's house. It was always a special experience and I loved how my grandmother kept her front room. She had a beautiful floral couch, a mountain wall mural, gorgeous hanging curtains, and funky seventies glass bulb chandeliers that hung down from the ceiling. It was totally a vibe! As a little girl, the room felt like pure magic. But one of my favorite parts of her room was the glass display of butterflies she had hanging on the wall. The butterflies were so vibrant and beautiful; I remember looking at them often. I still think about that room and those butterflies. I wish I knew where those butterflies ended up and that I had a photograph to remember them.
When I started doing these paintings, I was inspired by butterfly taxidermy and my grandmother's home. I am not sure that I want to collect actual butterflies, but I thought that I would mimic them in these pieces. I love the cases where the butterfly is the center of interest. I wanted the butterflies to be the star of the show. I love the way that these mini butterfly pieces look interspersed in between all of my colorful florals.
As soon as I started sharing these paintings online, my students started asking for a course on how to create these paintings. So because you asked, here it is!
Butterfly Pavilion- LIVE Painting on Zoom
Join me for two hours for a live painting session on Zoom where we will create these super playful Butterfly Collages.
When: Sunday, October 29 at 1:00-3:00 PM MST
What's included in this Zoom Session:
- Start to finish process tutorial for how to create these mini butterfly paintings
- Composition tips for how to make the best butterflies
- Downloadable butterflies to print
- Material and supply videos to prep your supplies before the Zoom session
- Recording of the Zoom session to rewatch over and over
- Downloadable collage paper
- Time for Q/ A during the Zoom session
If you can't make it to the Zoom session, don't worry. The session will be recorded and it will be available for replay soon after.
Materials and Supplies:
- Cradled art boards (5 x 7 preferred size) Click here to purchase. You might want to have one or two larger boards like a 12 x 12 or 11 x 14
- Collage and vintage ephemera (wallpaper, fabric, maps, painted papers, embroidered fabric, vintage papers/ envelopes)
- Print outs of butterflies and birds (I use unsplash for royalty free images.)
- Matte gel medium
- Gel pens
- Acrylic markers (I like these ones.)
- Fixative spray or varnish
- Stencils *optional
- Tracing paper (I like this one.)
- Paint brushes
- Carbon graphite transfer paper
- Acrylic paint
- Vintage ribbons or embellishments
Frequently Asked Questions
I can't wait to see you at our Zoom session on Sunday, October 29 at 1:00 PM MST.